Appeon, today announced the general availability of PowerBuilder 2017. This release is the first new installment of the PowerBuilder development platform from Appeon. It brings PowerBuilder’s highly-productive business app development capabilities to Windows 10, iOS, and Android, fits seamlessly into a continuous integration process with the new standalone compiler and uses a new cloud-based licensing model. PowerBuilder 2017 paves the way for users to benefit from many future innovations Appeon has planned, which are currently scheduled to be delivered on a yearly basis.
PowerBuilder 2017 enhances existing PowerBuilder apps and introduces a new cross-OS mobile target. Some of the most notable new features included in this release are:
- Mobile App Development – rapidly and easily deploy existing code assets (including reports) to iOS and Android, and tap into mobile device-specific functionality with Apache Cordova plugins.
- Expanded Compatibility – deploy PowerBuilder apps to Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 while using SQL Server 2016, SQL Anywhere 17, in addition to many other databases and versions.
- Cloud-based Licensing – PowerBuilder licenses now follow the developer rather than being tied to a specific workstation, and it is delivered through Appeon’s new cloud-based license management system.
- Built-in PDF Support – generate PDF files and report printouts from your PowerBuilder app, without having the configuration hassles and costs of a third-party PDF generation solution.
- Continuous Integration – install a free standalone compiler via scripts to your automated build machine, and automate your PowerBuilder app builds with a new simplified process for OrcaScript.
How do I get Started?
PowerBuilder 2017 is now generally available for evaluation, upgrade or new purchase. Free trial versions of the product are fully functional for a period of 30 days, and a free self-guided training course is available for developers new to PowerBuilder. Customers who have pre-ordered PowerBuilder 2017 can download paid versions of the product from the Appeon Website. New customers can purchase the product directly from Appeon or local authorized resellers (in certain regions).