If you are an outdoor enthusiast, and want great navigational support, then the CrossoverGPS from Magellan may be just what you’re looking for. Not only does it provide great automotive capabilities, but it’s also a reliable device for campers, hikers, and hunters. And, you have the option of adding BlueNav marine cartography charts for marine navigation.
Not only did Magellan produce this great GPS device for all your interests, but they managed to pack it into a 4.3 inch by 3.4 inch by 1.1 inch device, weighing only 8.5 ounces. It’s the perfect size for taking with you on the go, whether you’re driving, camping, or hiking. It features a 3.5 inch non-reflective screen that is highly visible even in direct sunlight. Another good factor if you plan to take it camping or fishing.
It comes preloaded with maps of all 50 United States, plus Canada and Puerto Rico, and topographical maps of all 48 continental United States and 1.5 million Points of Interest. You do have the option to upgrade to more detailed topographical maps for around $100. As for the marine maps, you simply buy the area that you’re interested in. The maps are provided on an SD card. The SD card slot can also be used to play music or view pictures. And all the data is stored on a built in 4GB hard drive.
It’s powered by a Li-Ion rechargeable 1900MA battery, and battery life lasts for up to 8 hours after charge. It does include a car charger, but not an AC adapter. You can purchase this separately. A little disappointing that it doesn’t come with the AC adapter, but just a small glitch. The 8 plus hours of battery life is a good consideration if you plan to take advantage of the outdoor life.
The easy to see display is in 2D or 3D maps. There are also icons for zooming in or out. Navigation is accurate and easy. Re-routing is automatic if you miss a turn, or end up in a traffic delay. You’ll be back on the road in no time. A practically non-existent learning curve makes it even better. It’s ready to go straight from the box, even with all the extras included.
Overall, the CrossoverGps is a great device, whether you need an outdoor device or not. The satellite locking is great, even under the worst of circumstances. It’s a good device to have if you’re planning a trip somewhere woodsy. For the price, you’d expect a device of a much lower caliber. Magellan has quite outdone themselves with the Crossover.
Small. Powerful. CrossoverGPSTM.
Now, you can own a GPS with advanced vehicle navigation and outdoor GPS routing capabilities in the world’s first pocket-sized CrossoverGPSTM. Simple touch-screen menus make it easy to select virtually any destination and get turn-by-turn voice and visual guidance while on the road. Or you can take it on your Saturday hike, mark waypoints along the way and save the route to go again next weekend. Detailed built-in street maps of North America and light topographic maps of the 48 contiguous United States mean you’ll never be lost.
Add optional detailed regional MapSend® Topo1 topographic maps, MapSend BlueNavTM marine charts or MapSend Lakes charts via Secure Digital memory cards and navigate your outdoor adventures. The best-in-class battery offers up to 8 hours of use so you can navigate, search points of interest, plan trips, listen to music and view pictures from wherever you are.
Advanced auto navigation features include multi-destination routing, SmartDetourTM to route you around slow freeway traffic and SayWhereTM text-to-speech, which tells you both where to turn and the name of the street to turn on. The optional TrafficKit2 accessory makes it easy to avoid traffic with Real-time incident reports. (Subscription required for traffic reports only).
The sleek, rugged, and waterproof to IPX-4 design makes it easy to take it with you wherever your adventure takes you. The included Sport GuardTM provides added armor to enhance the Magellan CrossoverGPS’ rugged endurance during outdoor use. The slip-resistant protection and built in lanyard hook make it easy to tackle the great outdoors.
1 Available 2007
2 Available January 2007
- CrossoverGPSTMexpandable – Easily navigate the open road and the great outdoor. Pre-loaded with topographic maps of the 48 contiguous United States to help you navigate all your outdoor adventures.
- Waterproof to IPX-4 – Don’t worry if you get caught in the rain, it’s sealed to IPX-4 standards.
- Easy-to-use – Simple touch-screen menus and quick-entry features
- Pocket-sized & Lightweight – Easily transfer between vehicles, pack it for a flight or carry it in your pocket (4.3″ x 3.4″ x 1.1″) and 7.8 oz.
- Traffic upgradeable – Get LIVE traffic incident reports when you add the Magellan TrafficKitTM. (Requires service subscription after introductory period)
- Turn-by-turn voice and visual guidance – BE THERE™ quickly and safely
- Rechargeable battery – Best in class battery for use up to 8 hours without access to power
- SirfstarIII chip set for quick access to a satellite signal
- SayWhere™ text-to-speech – Hear the street name of your next turn
- Multi-destination Routing – Select up to 20 destinations
- SmartDetour – Automatically routes you around sudden slow freeway traffic using your own custom settings
- Built-in maps – Detailed street maps of United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and topographic maps of the 48 contiguous United States
- Bird’s-eye 3D view – Clearly see your surroundings
- SD card compatible – Insert outdoor maps, MapSend® BlueNav™ marine maps, music and pictures
- Digital Music Player – Play your favorite music through the integrated speaker or your own headphones
- Photo Viewer – View your vacation pictures while you’re still on vacation
- Auto re-route – Never miss a turn and quickly get back on track whenever you take a detour
- Auto night view – Adjusts color and contrast for easy night viewing
- QuickSpell™ – Easily enter addresses with efficient auto-complete feature
- 5 million points of interest (POI) – Easily find gas stations, restaurants, ATMs, airports, parks and more
- Interactive POI icons – Touch an onscreen icon for a nearby destination; see phone number and get an instant route
- 4 routing methods available – Shortest time, shortest distance, least use or most use of freeways, avoid toll roads
- Address Book and Favorites List – Create and store personal points of interest to easily route to places you go to often
- Instant locate – One touch shows your location; quickly advise roadside assistance or emergency services
Product Number: 980890-01A
|Base Map||Pre-loaded with detailed street maps of 50 United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and topographic coverage of the 48 contiguous United States|
|Size||3.4″ H x 4.3″ W x 1.1″ D|
|Weight||8.5 oz. with Sport Guard™ 9.4 oz.|
|Display||3.5″ color touch screen display, 2.11″ x 2.81″ (53.6mm x 71.5mm)|
|Memory||1.5GB of NAND pre-loaded with maps of the 50 United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and topographic maps of the 48 contiguous states|
|Data Storage||Unlimited / Secure Digital (SD) Card compatible|
|Antenna||Built-in multidirectional patch|
|Operating Range||14 to 140°F (-10 to 60°C) Battery charging temperature 32 to 113°F (0 to 45°C)|
|Receiver||20 channels, SiRF Star III|
|Acquisition Time||Hot: 1 second, Cold: 40 seconds, Initial: 5 minutes|
|Accuracy||3 to 5 meters (10 – 16 feet) – WAAS/EGNOS, < 7 meters (15 feet) – GPS only|
|Source||Li-Ion rechargeable 1900mA, 12 V AC or 12 vehicle adapter (sold separately)|
|Battery Life||Over 8 hours continuous use|