Magellan’s Explorist 400 is great for GPS navigation, if you want an expandable mapping pocket sized device. The mapping capabilities and storage are via an option secure digital or SD card. And you can rack up as many cards as you want, so you can add as many maps as you need to your trip planning. You can also add detailed street maps, topo, or lake maps via the optional MapSend software. The 400 is definitely a step up for Magellan from the 100, the first in the series.
You can download information with the high speed USB data port, and download caches directly to the device. It comes with 8 MB of built-in maps, something that the 100 did not have. It has 8 MB of internal memory, also, so you can save up to 5 track log files, 20 route files, and 500 points of interest. With the optional SD cards, you can save as many as you need. Once your internal memory is full, simply purchase an SD card and just keep filling it up.
The size of 2.2″ W x 4.7″ H x 1.3″ D, makes it great for keeping in your pocket. It fits comfortably, and weighs around 5 ounces without the battery, which is a Li-Ion rechargeable battery 1300 MAH, and lasts up to 17 hours of continual use.
Great easy to view LCD screen, and the menu is easy to use. Basically no learning curve, and it comes ready to use right out of the box.
This is definitely a step up from the previous Explorists. If you’re looking for a pocket sized GPS for camping, hiking, and with the street maps option, even driving, then the 400 is a great choice. The satellite locking is fast, and it’s rugged and build to last. No complaints on this one as of yet. Magellan may just have outdone themselves with the Explorist 400.
Get the powerful, expandable mapping pocket-sized GPS. Your Magellan eXplorist 400 features built-in mapping and unlimited storage using optional secure digital (SD) cards so you can take as many maps with you as you want to.
Add detailed street maps, topo or lake maps using optional Magellan MapSend® software. The high-speed USB data port makes downloading information easy and Geocache Manager software enables you to download caches directly to your GPS. 8 MB of built-in maps and 8 MB of internal memory enable you to save 5 track log files, 20 routes and 500 points of interest. Save as many as you need to optional SD cards.
Intelligently designed for comfortable right or left handed use, the clearly marked keypad provides one-touch access to all your most important features. Joystick controller makes scrolling the simple menus fun and easy. The large backlit display is easy-to-read day or night. Customizable navigation screens show your location, speed, direction, and distance to destination and more, just the way you want it.
Slip your compact (2.2 in x 4.7 in) eXplorist 400 into your pocket and let it guide you on every outdoor adventure. Magellan TrueFixTM technology provides superior accuracy and reliability, giving you the freedom to explore without concern of getting lost.
- Large screen – Large, easy-to-read screen dominates this pocket-sized powerhouse
- Easy-to-use – Navigate in seconds with simple menus, one-button shortcut to key features and joystick control
- Built-in maps – North American or European basemap shows major roads, parks, waterways and many points of interest
- SD-card expandability – Add unlimited MapSend topographic maps or turn-by-turn street routing
- Simple file system – Save, organize and access all your stored data with ease
- USB data port – Manage maps and waypoints and download coordinates from your PC
- TrueFix® technology – Reliable accuracy to within 3 meters
- Area calculation – Instantly see the distance and area between any geographic points
- Vertical profile – View graphical elevation changes for where you’ve been or where you’re going
- Geocache Manager – PC application to download and organize coordinates from the Internet
- Track logging – Store 5 track files with 2000 points each and an unlimited number on your own SD cards
- Four navigation screens – Map, Compass, Locator and Satellite Status deliver easy-to-use information
- Rugged construction – Encased in rubber armored, impact resistant plastic
- Water resistant – Don’t worry about getting it wet
- Languages – Choose English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Finnish, Portuguese, Dutch or Norwegian.
- No service fees – Ready to use with no activation required
- Full Warranty – One-year in North America, Two-year in Europe
Product Number: 980771-01A
|Case||Rubber armored impact-resistant plastic, water-resistant seal|
|Base Map||16 MB Built-in basemap of North America or Europe|
|Size||2.2″ W x 4.7″ H x 1.3″ D (W 5.6 cm x H 11.9 cm x D 3.3 cm)|
|Weight||5.4 oz (153 g) – w/ battery|
|Display||2.25″ diagonal, 4-level grayscale, high resolution (122 x 160), backlit|
|Memory||16 MB user data|
|Data Storage||Unlimited / Secure Digital (SD) Card compatible|
|Antenna||Built-in multidirectional patch|
|Keypad||Nine direct-access keys|
|Joystick||Eight-way easy scrolling w/ push-in instant enter|
|Operating Range||14 to 140°F (-10 to 60°C)|
|Receiver||TrueFixTM 14 channels, WAAS/EGNOS|
|Acquisition Time||Hot: 20 seconds, Cold: 60 seconds, Initial: 2 minutes|
|Update Rate||Once per second|
|Accuracy||3 to 5 meters (10 – 16 feet) – WAAS/EGNOS, < 7 meters (15 feet) – GPS only|
|Velocity||0.1 knots (RMS)|
|Grids||75 including Lat/Lon, UTM, OSGB,MGRS, Finnish, German, Swedish, French, Irish, Swiss, USNG, User Grid (90 Max)|
|Languages||English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Finnish, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian|
|Source||Li-Ion rechargeable battery 1300 MAH|
|Battery Life||Up to 17 hours continuous use|