There seems to be a good reason why Hertz chose Magellan as the company to provide its cars with GPS devices. The quality of their products is outstanding. The Maestro 3140 proves to be no exception to this rule. The statement that it’s so easy to use that “If you can figure out an ATM, you can figure out this GPS” is no hype. It comes ready to go, with preloaded maps of all 50 United States, plus Canada and Puerto Rico. And the maps are accurate. Although, when you type in the destination address, you need to know the zip code. It doesn’t allow you to choose a state. So, you’ll need to make sure that you know the exact zip codes in areas that you will be traveling to, if you plan to search for specific Points of Interest.
The Points of Interest (POI) database has over 4.5 million spots. Restaurants, fuel, ATM’s, hotels, motels, etc. So it is better than previous versions, that only held about 750,000. And the POI database is set with AAA points. There is also a RoadSide Assistance option from AAA, if, of course, you have a subscription to AAA. The subscription is not really a bad point, particularly if you travel a lot.
Another point to consider is that the 3140 only comes with a vehicle charger. If you plan to charge it at home, or in a hotel, you may want to purchase the AC adapter. The battery, a rechargeable Li-ion 1200 MA, does give you up to 3 hours of life, assuming that you keep the display at minimum brightness level.
As far as navigation, the routing calculations are quick. Re-routing is also at lightning speed, you can be set in a matter of seconds, compared to minutes in other GPS devices. And when you do arrive, the voice prompt will politely tell you so. The volume could actually be a bit louder. You may find yourself having to check the display, because you can’t hear the voice prompts very well, especially if you’re in a louder vehicle, or in a lot of loud traffic, or listening to music. It will tell you, though, accurate directions, even up to what side of the street that your destination is on. If you need to turn around, it will tell you to make a legal U-turn at your first opportunity. And if you get off on a wrong turn, the re-navigation is lightning fast.
Screen display is clear and bright. Given that the Maestro 3140 has a screen display size of 3.5 inches, and features an anti-glare display, you won’t have any trouble seeing your navigational directions. Also, the size of 4.9 inches by 1.14 inches by 3.48 inches, and weight of only 6.5 ounces, makes it great for use in multiple vehicles. Just unplug it and take it with you when you go.
Magellan has definitely stepped it up a notch with the Maestro 3140. It’s a great GPS for accuracy, reliability, and even the few extras thrown in, makes it a great choice for your navigational needs.
Magellan® Maestro™ 3140 offers advanced, premium navigation at an affordable price. The most intuitive graphical 3.5″ touch-screen interface available makes navigation easy. Enter virtually any destination and get turn-by-turn voice guidance to anywhere in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. 4.5 million preprogrammed points of interest help you find your destination even when you don’t know the address. Smart touch-icons and Magellan’s unique QuickSpell™ function enable error-free spelling, minimizing steps, so you get a customized route to your destination with just a few touches of the screen.
Plus, integrated travel information from AAA TourBook® guide travel information gives you instant access to service details and Diamond ratings from the world’s leading travel expert. Quickly find AAA approved lodgings and restaurants, member roadside assistance1, and discounts available through the AAA Show Your Card & Save® program1.
Touch the tow truck icon to quickly connect to AAA member Roadside Assistance1 using your compatible Bluetooth® phone. The screen tells you where you are to quickly direct reliable AAA help to your location.
Choose the 2D or 3D view and see your location, route, direction, next turn, destination and more. SayWhere™ text-to-speech tells you street names for each turn for worry-free navigation. Bluetooth® hands-free calling adds safety and convenience to your drive when using your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone.
Maestro 3140 is designed for those who enjoy precision technology with style! It has been created by Magellan; the first name in navigation™, and built on years of experience providing the best in GPS navigation and feedback from the millions of users of the Magellan RoadMate and Hertz NeverLost systems.
Use the optional Maestro 3140 traffic receiver accessory to have LIVE traffic incident reports delivered to your device to help you find a new route.
1 Requires AAA Membership.
- Sophisticated and simple – Bold, streamlined touch-screen buttons minimize steps to locate a destination for stress-free navigation
- Turn-by-turn voice and visual guidance – Enter virtually any address or point of interest and get there quickly and safely
- AAA TourBook® guide travel information – Integrated travel information from AAA TourBook makes it easy to locate AAA approved and rated lodgings and restaurants, recommended attractions, and places to save money.
- AAA member Roadside Assistance details – Touch the tow truck icon to quickly connect to AAA Roadside Assistance using your compatible Bluetooth® phone. The screen tells you where you are to quickly direct reliable AAA help to your location.
- Hands-free phone calls – Bluetooth® wireless technology and built-in microphone let you make hands-free phone calls using your compatible Bluetooth-enabled phone
- Precision navigation – SiRFstarIII chipset and integrated multidirectional antennae offer superior GPS accuracy using the Wide Area Augmentation System
- Graphical interactive maps – Maps and destinations for the entire U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico are built-in so you can travel the country and always know where you are and where you’re going
- SayWhere™ text-to-speech – Hear when to make each turn including the street name
- Hands-free phone calls – Bluetooth® wireless technology and built-in microphone let you make hands-free phone calls using your Bluetooth-enabled phone
- Traffic-enabled – Maestro 3140’s optional traffic receiver accessory sends LIVE traffic incident reports to the interactive touch screen
- Birds eye 3D view – Clearly see your surroundings in 3D or 2D
- Rechargeable battery – Navigate in your vehicle without plugging the cigarette lighter adapter in
- Multi-destination Route Optimization – Select up to 20 destinations and optimize the most direct route between them
- SmartDetour – Customize the settings to automatically route you around sudden slow freeway traffic
- Auto Re-route – Never miss a turn and quickly get back on track whenever you take a detour
- Auto night view – Adjusts color and contrast for easy night viewing
- QuickSpell™ – Easily enter addresses with unique auto-complete feature that even corrects spelling
- Complete mobility – Transfer to any vehicle with no installation
- 5 million points of interest (POI) – Easily find gas stations, restaurants, ATMs, airports, parks and more with smart location search by name, category and region
- Interactive POI icons – Touch an onscreen icon for a nearby destination; see phone number and get an instant route
- Multiple route methods – Shortest time, shortest distance, least use or most use of freeways, avoid toll roads
- Route exclusion – Select streets and freeways to avoid so you can get there your preferred way
- 4 helpful views – Map View, 3D map, TrueView™ 3D split screen and Maneuver List
- Address Book – Create and store personal points of interest for easy reoccurring trips
- Instant locate – One touch shows your location; quickly advise roadside assistance or emergency services
- Optional AC adaptor – Available for purchase at select dealers and at magellanGPS.com
Product Number: 980935-01
|Base Map||Pre-loaded – 50 United States, Canada and Puerto Rico|
|Size||4.29 (l) x 1.14 (w) x 3.48 (h)|
|Display||3.5″ diagonal QVGA full-color, anti-glare, touch-screen display|
|Antenna||Integrated multidirectional patch|
|Receiver||20 channels, WAAS/EGNOS enabled – SiRFstarIII|
|Accuracy||3 to 5 meters (10 – 16 feet) – WAAS/EGNOS, < 7 meters (15 feet) – GPS only|
|Source||Li-ion rechargeable 1200 MA, 12-24 V vehicle adapter|
|Battery Life||Up to 3 hours (assuming lowest screen brightness)|