Affordable and compact are perhaps the best way to describe the RoadMate 2000 by Magellan. It has a few extra features not normally included in a GPS device in it’s price range. Measuring just 1.12 by 4.28 by 3.15 inches, the RoadMate 2000 weighs only 7.8 ounces, so it’s very convenient to carry with you, and use in multiple vehicles.
The 3.5 inch touch screen display has a non-reflective feature, so it’s easy to view and read, even in direct sunlight. The non-reflective screen is one of the best around, and really lives up to Magellen’s reputation.
It’s easy to learn, and easy to use. It comes virtually ready to go straight out of the box, preloaded with maps for all 50 United States, as well as Canada, and Puerto Rico. The mapping system is really one of the most accurate in GPS devices. Add to that the 1.3 million Points of Interest database, that also preloaded, and you’ve got the means to travel without worries. The receiver is a SiRF starIII GPS receiver, and provides excellent sensitivity and quick satellite acquisition time. The power comes from a rechargeable Li-Ion 1900 MA battery. There is a car charger included, although an AC adapter will cost you extra. However, the battery does last for up to 8 hours, so it’s good for pre-programming your trip from home, or taking with you away from the car.
The menu structure is simple. Only two screens of icons, with a total of ten choices for top level. The first screen has options for returning to the map view, finding an address for your destination, searching thru the POI database, address book, finding an intersection, and a “home” button. The second screen has display icons for trip computer, trip planning, option settings, and selecting system preferences.
The RoadMaster 2000 does have the option to plan up to 20 different destination locations. That’s something that does not come with other GPS devices within it’s price range. SmartDetour is another good feature. It detects when your highway speed slows significantly and suggests a detour. It may not be as effective as the live traffic data found in more expensive models, but it’s still a good feature.
You have the option when plotting your route to choose shortest time, shortest distance, no freeways, all freeways, and even no toll roads. The instant locate is also a good feature, to show your location in case of a break down.
Although it does not include a lot of high tech features, like Bluetooth, AAA, and others that are found on more expensive versions. The RoadMaster 2000 is an accurate and convenient GPS device for the price. If you just want good navigation without all the frills and fluff, then this one may just be for you.
Affordable GPS for any car. Turn-by-turn voice and visual guidance and simple menus on the latest touch screen technology make navigation easy. Load the maps you need to 110 MB free memory or your own SD card.
- Easy to use
- 5″ color touch screen
- Easy-to-use – Simple touch-screen menus and quick-entry features
- Pocket-sized & Lightweight – Easily transfer between vehicles, pack it for a flight or carry it in your pocket (4.3″ x 3.4″ x 1.1″) and 7.8 oz.
- CrossoverGPSTMexpandable – Easily upgrade1 to accept topographic maps for outdoor navigation
- Traffic upgradeable – Get LIVE traffic incident reports when you add the Magellan TrafficKitTM. (Requires service subscription after introductory period)
- Turn-by-turn voice and visual guidance – BE THERE™ quickly and safely
- Waterproof to IPX-4 – Don’t worry if you get caught in the rain, it’s sealed to IPX-4 standards.
- Rechargeable battery – Best in class battery for use up to 8 hours without access to power
- SirfstarIII chip set for quick access to a satellite signal
- SayWhere™ text-to-speech – Hear the street name of your next turn
- Multi-destination Routing – Select up to 20 destinations
- SmartDetour – Automatically routes you around sudden slow freeway traffic using your own custom settings
- Built-in maps – United States, Canada and Puerto Rico
- Bird’s-eye 3D view – Clearly see your surroundings
- SD card compatible – Insert outdoor maps, music and pictures
- Digital Music Player – Play your favorite music through the integrated speaker or your own headphones
- Photo Viewer – View your vacation pictures while you’re still on vacation
- Auto re-route – Never miss a turn and quickly get back on track whenever you take a detour
- Auto night view – Adjusts color and contrast for easy night viewing
- QuickSpell™ – Easily enter addresses with efficient auto-complete feature
- 5 million points of interest (POI) – Easily find gas stations, restaurants, ATMs, airports, parks and more
- Interactive POI icons – Touch an onscreen icon for a nearby destination; see phone number and get an instant route
- 4 routing methods available – Shortest time, shortest distance, least use or most use of freeways, avoid toll roads
- Address Book and Favorites List – Create and store personal points of interest to easily route to places you go to often
- Instant locate – One touch shows your location; quickly advise roadside assistance or emergency services
Product Number: 980897-01
|Base Map||Pre-loaded – 50 United States, Canada and Puerto Rico|
|Size||4.28″ W x 3.15″ H x 1.12″ D (W 108.8 mm x H 88 mm x D 28.5 mm)|
|Weight||7.8 oz / 221 g|
|Display||3.5″ color touch screen display, 2.11″ x 2.81″ (53.6mm x 71.5mm)|
|Data Storage||Unlimited / Secure Digital (SD) Card compatible|
|Antenna||Built-in multidirectional patch|
|Operating Range||14 to 140°F (-10 to 60°C)|
|Receiver||20 channels, SirfstarIII|
|Acquisition Time||Hot: 1 second, Cold: 40 seconds, Initial: 5 minutes|
|Accuracy||3 to 5 meters (10 – 16 feet) – WAAS/EGNOS, < 7 meters (15 feet) – GPS only|
|Source||Li-Ion rechargeable 1900mA, 12 V AC or 12 VDC vehicle adapter (sold separately)|
|Battery Life||Over 8 hours continuous use|