The RoadMate 300 from Magellan is an older GPS device. You can’t get any updated maps for it, so you’re pretty much glued to the ones that come with it. It does come with 2 Cds containing the 48 continental United States, excluding Hawaii and Alaska. These Cds hold the mapping data. It’s a little outdated, considering devices these days come preloaded, but it can still get you to where you need to go. Assuming that your points of interest are fairly old. Newer ones wouldn’t be included in the database, and would have to be input manually. It does come with around 2 million POI’s already in the database.
Of course, the price for the 300 is considerably lower than newer devices, but remember, that you get what you pay for. There won’t be any of the frills with the 300 that adorn the newer models.
Being an older model, keep in mind that it may take up to 10 minutes to locate a satellite connection, and you must be sure to have the antenna up. The voice prompts work well, and are loud and clearly understood. If you miss a turn, it will recalculate a new route in just a few seconds. It does include a customizable route method, and you can choose the shortest route, the least use of freeways, most use of freeways, or to avoid toll roads. You can also choose to avoid specific freeways or streets.
It is conveniently mobile. You can transfer it from vehicle to vehicle with no installation. The 300 does support 10 different languages, and voice prompts are in English.
The power comes from a 12 volt car charger, or an AC adapter. There is no internal battery, so it’s not useful if you plan to take it on walks or camping trips.
The 300 is small at 6.18″ W x 3.11″ H x 1.18″ D , and weighs only 9 ounces, so it is carried comfortably if you do switch from car to car. The screen display size is 3.5 inches and diagonal. Much like the 360, the RoadMate 300 does not have the newest of technologies. If all you need is navigation, then it’s a great GPS device. However, if you like all the extras, or even some of them, this one doesn’t have them.
All in all, it is still a good device, considering its age, and the outdated maps. It will still take you from Point A to Point B and back again without losing you in the middle.
Magellan RoadMate 300 North America
Your Magellan RoadMate 300 calculates your route and automatically updates your directions when you decide to take a detour. Easily download regions you plan to travel in, to the internal memory, from 2 CD ROMs containing advanced detailed mapping of the 48 contiguous United States, Hawaii and Canada. Freely download unlimited map data to Secure Digital (SD) memory cards1 (sold separately) and create new maps before traveling in different regions.
Use the built-in Magellan Trip Planner to select multiple destination points from your address book and points of interest before setting out. Your Magellan RoadMate 300 will guide you from one point to the next without the need to select a new destination after each stop. You can get gas, visit the ATM, pick up a relative and stop by the florist before meeting the family at a restaurant to celebrate mom’s birthday, all without re-entering destination points while on the journey.
An extensive list of points of interest in your selected area makes it easy to choose your destination quickly.
Lightweight, affordable and truly portable, the Magellan RoadMate 300 goes wherever you go, from your personal vehicle to your business car, to your recreational vehicle.
1SD cards must be registered to work with your Magellan GPS
- Easy-to-use – Quick access to features through simple touch-screen menus and keypad
- Turn-by-turn voice and visual guidance – BE THERE™ quickly and safely
- Detailed mapping – Easily load the maps you need from 2 CDs containing the 48 contiguous US, Hawaii and Canada (Alaska or Hawaii not included)
- Trip Planner – Select up to 20 destinations and easily route to each in any order you choose
- Auto Re-route – Never miss a turn and quickly get back on track whenever you take a detour
- QuickSpell™ – Easily enter addresses with unique auto-complete feature
- Complete mobility – Transfer to any vehicle with no installation
- Nearly 2 million points of interest (POI) – Easily find gas stations, restaurants, ATMs, airports, parks and more
- Interactive POI icons – Touch an onscreen icon for a nearby destination; see phone number and get an instant route
- Customizable route method – Shortest time, avoid toll roads, least use or most use of freeways
- Route exclusion – Select street or freeways to avoid
- Easy view directions – Map View, TrueView™ 3D and simple Maneuver List
- Address Book – Create and store personal points of interest for easy reoccurring trips
- Instant locate – One touch shows your location; quickly advise roadside assistance or emergency services
Product Number: 980668-02
|Base Map||Detailed maps of 48 contiguous United States, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Canada on CD-ROMs for upload to internal memory or Secure Digital (SD) cards (not included)|
|Size||6.18″ W x 3.11″ H x 1.18″ D (W 157 mm x H 79 mm x D 30 mm)|
|Weight||9 oz (280 g)|
|Display||3.5″ diagonal touch screen: full-color, high resolution, transflective TFT, backlit, automatically adjusts to light conditions|
|Memory||Up to 80 MB for map data in memory (SD card – unlimited)|
|Data Storage||Unlimited / Secure Digital (SD) Card compatible|
|Antenna||Built-in multidirectional patch|
|Keypad||Eight backlit direct-access keys, plus power and repeat buttons|
|Operating Range||14 to 140°F (-10 to 60°C)|
|Receiver||14 channels, WAAS/EGNOS enabled|
|Acquisition Time||Hot: 20 seconds, Cold: 60 seconds, Initial: 5 minutes|
|Update Rate||Once per second|
|Accuracy||3 to 5 meters (10 – 16 feet) – WAAS/EGNOS, < 7 meters (15 feet) – GPS only|
|Languages||English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Finnish, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian – Voice guidance in English|
|Source||12 V AC or vehicle adapter|