The TomTom One is a personal, carry it in your shirt, earlier version of their GPS devices. It comes preloaded with maps for the United States and Canada. The learning curve is really low with this one, as it’s ready to go when you get it. Just pull it out of the box and take it with you.
The boot up time is within one to three minutes, and depends on how much open sky you can see. There are more expensive GPS devices that can pick on a satellite connection indoors, you probably won’t get that excellent reception with the ONE. It can recalculate your route within seconds, in case you hit a wrong turn, or upcoming traffic delay. It features 32 MB of RAM and a 380 Mhz CPU to help with the speed.
The screen display, measuring 3.5 inches has a resolution of 320×240 and gives you clear and brilliant two and three dimensional graphics. Clear and accurate voice directions for turn by turn become louder or quieter depending on your speed changes. The volume will adjust itself automatically so the speech resolution is clear. And there are 36 languages to choose from and over 55 different voices, so you can customize it to your liking.
Once the TomTom ONE has finished its navigation calculations, it shows you a summary of your route on a 2D map. The summary screen also shows you your battery condition, your current latitude and longitude, the number of satellites that are detectable, estimated trip time, and the distance to your destination. From here, you can either tap Done to start navigating or select Details to see information about your route.
You can use the USB cable included to add specific points of interest. Points of interest are included, such as hotels, fuel, and restaurants. When you select a POI, by default, the ONE will immediately calculate the route to this particular point. This may pose a minor nuisance if all you want is to know the location or phone number. Also, you can not view the address details of your saved routes. The only options you have are to rename them or delete them entirely.
The One powers up with a built in lithium ion battery and can be charged through a DC power cord or through the USB cable. The DC power cord is also included in the package.
The mounting bracket may be one of the best overall features. You simply slide the ONE onto the bracket and stick the suction cup to your windshield. You do not have to lock the suction cup down, just simply push it to the glass. You will need to use caution, and make sure that you moisten the suction cup first, to ensure that it has adequate adhesion. The ONE adjust easily using a friction ball and socket mount.
With the included Bluetooth technology, along with the other features, and especially the ease of use, the ONE by TomTom is a good personal sized unit for the price. If you simply need to get from Point A to Point B, and want a dependable GPS to get you there, then TomTom’s ONE won’t let you down.
Considering satellite navigation?
Now there’s TomTom ONE!
TomTom ONE combines ease of use, portability, touchscreen technology and an elegant, unmistakable new design. Drivers can enjoy the benefits of a TomTom ONE immediately, thanks to TomTom’s award-winning navigation software pre-installed.
This means there is no need to download complicated software, just start it up. TomTom ONE comes with the complete maps of US and Canada.
TomTom ONE – Functionalities
Easy to use:
- Plug & Go: Works straight out of the box.
- High quality touchscreen
- User-friendly menu with high resolution graphics
- Tip Feature: discover everything ONE has to offer through useful onscreen tips.
- Fast GPS signal fix
- Portable, lightweight and wallet-sized
Drive relaxed, travel safely, arrive on time!
- The most complete map on Internal Memory: worry-free navigation anywhere in the US and Canada
- Choice of routes: such as quickest, shortest, avoiding toll roads, pedestrian and bicycling routes
- Itinerary planning: plan your trip by defining multiple waypoints and destinations
- Route planning based on desired arrival time
- Optional warning when exceeding recorded speed limit (available on most highways and major roads)
- Car speed linked volume: volume of voice instructions will increase/decrease depending on speed of car.
- Anti-glare screen: always an optimal view
- Crystal clear 3D and 2D graphics for perfect viewing day and night
- View route: review and test the calculated route before you start driving
- Clear spoken instructions in your own language (36 languages to choose from and 55 different voices available)
- User interface: now including 22 languages
- Sign post information: exit sign info displayed in navigation mode
- Compass Mode: displays compass on screen to have even better orientation while driving.
Services & Smart extras
- Built-in Bluetooth™ technology for TomTom PLUS services
– Easy connection process to the mobile phone for PLUS Services only
- Ready for TomTom PLUS services: real time information on traffic congestions, weather conditions and extra downloads such as detailed city maps, scenic routes, additional voices, points of interest and much more.
(Bluetooth enabled mobile phone and GPRS data subscription required)
- TomTom HOME software: the essential tool to keep your TomTom up to date, easily install maps and services, shop for more services, prepare trips and much, much more
- Buddy finder: instant messaging and navigation come together. Locate and keep in touch with your friends
- Downloadable points of interest
– High sensitivity GPS chipset
– 32MB RAM
– CPU 266 MHz
– 3.5 inch full TFT color LCD touchscreen
(320 x 240 pixels, 64,000 colors)
– Internal Litium-Ion battery (2 hours operation)
– 3.8” x 3.2” x 1”, 6.5 oz.
– Operating temperature: 14°F to 130°F
– Bluetooth 2.0
Bluetooth Connectivity for access to TomTom PLUS Services including traffic information, weather data, and more.
Note: TomTom ONE does not feature handsfree calling
- T Mobile: Motorola V360, Motorola V330, Motorola U6 PEBL, Motorola V3 RazR, Samsung SGH-T509, Samsung SGH-T809, Nokia 6103, Nokia 6600, Nokia 3660, Nokia 8801
- Cingular: Sony Ericsson Z520a, Sony Ericsson Z525a, Motorola E1 ROKR, Motorola V551, Motorola L2, Motorola L7 SLVR, Motorola V3 RazR, Nokia 6600, Nokia 6682, Nokia 7610
The user interface/application comes in the following languages:
US English, Spanish, French, Czech, Danish, German, Estonian, UK English, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Finnish, Swedish, Turkish, Flemish, Slovakian, Catalan and Hungarian.
Spoken navigation instructions come in the following languages:
US English, Latin American Spanish, Spanish, French, Flemish, Bulgarian, Czech, Chinese Mandarin, Chinese Cantonese, Danish, German, Estonian, UK English, Australian English, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Serbian, Finnish, Swedish, Thai, Catalan, Croatian, Brazilian Portuguese and Turkish.
In The Box
- TomTom ONE
A brand new design! Slim and elegant, it fits perfectly in your car!
2. Windshield Holder
Lightweight and easy to mount, it matches your TomTom ONE design
- USB Car Charger and USB cable
For in-car charging of your TomTom ONE
- Installation CD
Contains the user manual, additional voices and TomTom HOME software (Windows / Mac OS X 10.3 and higher) for easy content management, desktop planning and downloads